Wednesday, March 3, 2010

And Today I'm Going to Sew - More Felting Inspirations

Remember a while back, I wrote about felting?  And then I made that super cute dress for my little girl, from an old, loved sweater of mine?  Well the Mommy side of my life got crazy right after that.  Since then, my baby girl Monet has cut multiple teeth, and has been sick twice.  You can read about our sleepless nights here if you want.  The good news is that Monet is feeling better and with that comes mornings filled with energy and ambition, before I even pour myself a cup of coffee.

This morning I woke up at 5 a.m. and said to my husband, "I'm going to sew today".  Now in all reality, I don't know if this will be possible.  The list of things I need to do is long.  I have to drop Monet off at the sitters, go to work, go get Monet from the sitters, run by Piper's Quilt Shop to drop off the Charley Harper Quilt and get my quilt pattern approved (I know, how exciting, it will be available soon), and then I need to get home and put Monet down for her nap.  And this is where the fate of my sewing ambition is decided.  Will Monet take a nap in her crib?  Or will I need to take her out in the stroller because she refuses to nap inside.  Well, lets just say that I'm feeling lucky today, and my sewing list is an ambitions one...



Project #1:  I want to make a pillow out of some cashmere I felted.  See that little moth hole, I plan to cover it up with a beautiful applique something or other. 


Project #2:  This sweater felted up so beautifully.  Before washing it, I cut off the neck and sleeves.  I'll need to figure out a way to clean those areas up.  Again, I hope to do some applique on this beauty, and then it will be ready for wearing.  I can just picture it on a little girl with dark hair and eyes.  I could maybe even cut down the middle and make a cardigan.  Hmm, that could be interesting.  


Project #3:  These are some sleeves I cut off a sweater.  I thought I could make gloves or babylegs out of them.  What do you think?  


Project #4:  I'm very excited about this project, and a little scared at the same time.  I want to use some of the felt that felted up pretty thick and make a coin purse out of it.  I've never done this before and I'm not even sure I know how.  We'll see how it turns out.



Project #5: Try Betz White's Shibori Felting tutorial. You just must check this out. The above image is from artist Jeung-Hwa Park. You can buy her work at Contemporary Craft.  Isn't it beautiful!

I hope that your day, and my day, allows us an opportunity to do that one thing we always hope to do and rarely have time for.  Would you please share with me what that "thing" is in your world?  

Happy day! 

4 comments:

Jeanne Oliver said...

Love the fingerless gloves.

Kristin said...

I think the baby legs is a good idea. Was that from the cashmere sweater? Monet would love that! :)

Anonymous said...

Everytime I teach my Wed. yoga class I have a quote. This blog reminded me of my quote of the day. It reflects on our spare moments....Not that you have many, but the fact that you are using your spare moments doing something positive and what you love (your hobby) is so great!

"Gaurd well your spare moments. They are like uncut dimonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

- Kristi :)

Angela Flicker: The Art of Making a House a Home in Utah said...

Oh Kristi, what a beautiful quote. I might need to include this in my next post. Thank you so much for sharing.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails