Saturday, February 6, 2010

Making Another Applique Quilt - Part 1


I don't know why exactly, but recently I have had an unexplainable urge to make another quilt, for no one in particular, and yet again I'm finding birds to be an inspiration. Follow the link to see photos of my first applique quilt.

I'm finally making progress after a few glitches. I've designed a great pattern and all the fabric has been cut out not once, but twice.

Why twice you may wonder? Well, I used to think multi-tasking was a strength of mine, but since Monet's birth I have found that it is most certainly NOT, rather it is a horrible habit that often detours my work about 100 miles of course. So back to the question at hand, why did I cut each piece of fabric out twice? I suppose watching a baby, doing laundry, cooking dinner, answering the phone, all while creating a quilt pattern makes for a situation where mistakes will be made. And sure enough a mistake was made and fixing that mistake required me to cut a 1/2 inch off each side of ALL my rectangular blocks. In hind sight I suppose I could have kept the 1/2 inch there, but it threw off some other design elements and thus the perfectionistic side of my personality kicked in over drive and I spent the next 3 hours cutting all the blocks again. Here is the aftermath...

Remember to always measure twice, feed the baby, measure again, change the laundry, check your pattern for accuracy, measure once more, answer the phone, and then cut just once.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails