Monday, July 12, 2010

Be Patient During the Chaos

Are you in a position of comfort and routine?  What a dream!?  I bet you're tempted to stay there right?  Yet, have you considered what a little chaos might add to your life?  Let me explain...

My house is in complete and utter disarray.  That's right, "The Artists' House" looks more like the inside of a storage unit than anything else these days...


The reason being that we are currently remodeling three rooms in our small six room home: refinishing original wood floors, creating a studio slash office space for me, and repainting 2/3 of the house's interior.  And while this project was my idea, chaos like this goes against every bone in my body.  My personality demands control, order, and routine; unfortunately my life could not be further from that right now.

Yet, in a couple days when this "little" project is all said and done, the results will absolutely be worth the chaos it took to achieve what I know will be a beautiful space.  

This really got me thinking beyond my home, and instead about the things I create everyday.  Often when I step out of the daily routine of what's comfortable, both me and my work grow and evolve.  And even though it's more comfortable to keep creating things that are familiar, I think it's important to step out and try new techniques, ideas, and inspirations within the realm of one's work. 

Are you too comfortable?  Where do you need to step out of your comfort zone to achieve something beautiful?  The results might surprise you, as long as you can be patient during the chaos. 

Well, its back to work for me.  The bucket of paint and brush are screaming my name....

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I like change, to a point. When I can still control it. :)

IndyAndCleo said...

CONGRATS to you and all the chaos - sounds like it will definitely be worth it! : )

Kristin said...

You guys are crazy and motivated. I love it. It's all part of a journey, and even the chaos I'm sure will bring good memories for your family. :) Please post pictures when you're done.

We are now settling in with Gabe and Karen. All our stuff is placed in the right rooms in our new house, and CHAOS is an appropriate word to describe each of those individual rooms. So for now we are enjoying only having a one-bedroom apartment to clean and keep organized. Can't wait to camp in August.

Love,
Kristin

Run Lori Run said...

We've done quite a bit of remodeling too over the last couple years so I feel your pain! Most recently we installed wood floors but before that we redid the kitchen and bathroom and that definitely takes one out of their comfort zone. Eating out of a cooler and washing things with the hose...ah I remember it well... :)

Angela Flicker: The Art of Making a House a Home in Utah said...

That's funny Lori. I bet all the changes look amazing. A while back when we were remodeling the bathroom I remember "showering" in the kitchen sink, lol.

Toronto Home Renovations said...

All our stuff is placed in the right rooms in our new house, and CHAOS is an appropriate word to describe each of those individual rooms.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails